Saturday, March 24, 2012

Monroe, LA-March 24, 2012

Our destination today was Vicksburg, MS. There was no room at the "inn" because a nuclear power plant is being cleaned. It takes several thousand people to do that, so we drove on to Monroe, LA. The roads in Mississippi were beyond horrible and the trash on the side of the road was shocking. There was water everywhere and it was filled with trash. Just disgusting. Louisiana roads were a little better and it was definitely flatter. As soon as I knew we'd be crossing the Mississippi River instead of parking beside it, I grabbed the camera and opened my window. I snapped as fast as I could. I took about a dozen pictures and only 3 are presentable, so I'm attaching those. The first one is what the bridge looks like as you go across it. The second one is the depth marker (that was a very lucky shot). It shows the water is 80 feet deep and it is muddy as it can be. The last one shows what used to be the beach where every local spent the weekend, just like at the coast. It also has a pusher with either 14 or 21 barges in front of it. I did not have time to count for sure. This park in Monroe is acceptable for a couple of days. Then we will find a nice place to spend a week or so. Surely there's some of that good Louisiana food around here. Will start searching for restaurants. It's good to be back on the road. We just enjoy the trip. Hope you like the pictures.

Entrance to river bridge at Vicksburg-this is a great river

Depth marker at 80 ft

Where the beach used to be and the barge


No comments:

Post a Comment