Thursday, December 17, 2015

Post rocks-December 17, 2015

Proverbs 22:28
"Do not move an ancient boundary stone set up by your forefathers."
 
 
You are looking at ancient boundary stones set up by someone's forefathers.
 
These boundary stones are called post rocks in Kansas. The story behind these post rocks is fascinating. When the pioneers were settling in Kansas they chiseled these post rocks from a nearby quarry. They loaded them on horse drawn buckboards and moved them to the property line and placed them there. I do not know what they weighed but they had to be heavy. Up close these are about 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall and 6 inches thick. In my mind I think it had to take years to complete this task. All along I-70 in Post Rock Country around Russell, Kansas you will see these boundary stones. Every time we drive through there I recite the verse and the vision in my mind's eye gives me goose bumps. I cannot wrap my mind around what a massive task this was. And to this day these are still the legal boundary stones of the farms there. Some are starting to fall over but still no one moves them. This is one of those sites that touches me and I have wanted to share it for a long time.
 
Update on weather: We had some sun yesterday and also had lots of pollution. The pollution is less today and we still have a little sun. It is 2:00 in the afternoon and has climbed all the way to 18 degrees. The snow is trying to melt and should be gone in another 3 or 4 days. Tonight will be zero and after that we should warm up quite a bit. We will probably have a warm Christmas which does happen in some years. And we will be thankful for it.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment