Friday, December 11, 2015

Something I liked-December 11, 2015

You know me and clouds and rainbows and storms and rainbows. I am about to share a rather unique cloud formation. I hope you can indulge me one more time.

The following is what is called a mountain wave cloud. It is caused by a front moving over the Rocky Mountains from west to east. I think they are visible more in the winter than summer, but don't quote me on that.

 
 
That clump of white fluffy stuff is the wave cloud, not blowing snow.
What you can't tell is that it is moving across the tops of the mountains.
This is not a common sight but it does happen with some fronts. The dark
that you can see are just the foothills. The snow covered mountain peaks
are enveloped by the wave cloud. It usually brings lots of wind to the
people on the plains. That's us!
 
This is the first time I have been able to get a picture of a wave cloud.
I could not resist showing it to you.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment