Monday, September 12, 2011

Billings, MT-September 12, 2011

We made it to Montana! The landscape north of Buffalo was so beautiful. If I said "Oh my goodness" once today, I said it at least two dozen times. We would go around curves or drop down into a valley and we would both be speechless. Literally. Total silence in the coach. There's lots of farmland here so in between those buttes you see fields of alfalfa, corn or wheat for as far as the eye can see. We even saw fields of sugarbeets. The only bad part about today was the ugly haze hanging over the mountains. We knew they were on the west side of the interstate but we could not see them. It certainly is not because of humidity or smoke so we're not sure what caused it. This is not at all what I thought it would be because of all of the farmland. I thought it would just be prairie grass. We saw hundreds (not getting carried away at all) of antelope and cattle and a few horses. The rivers are not like the Mississippi, but really pretty nevertheless. It is really hot here and that caught us completely off guard. We did stop at the Little Big Horn Battlefield. It used to be known as Custer's Battlefield or Custer's Last Stand. If I tell you what we saw it will become political and I promised this blog would not be political. I will just say it was emotional and I'm sure glad we stopped. We will stay here only one night and then stay in Livingston for several days. All in all it was a very nice day looking at the "embroidery of the earth".

No comments:

Post a Comment