Friday, May 3, 2019

Grants, New Mexico-May 3, 2019

Every time we drive through Grants, New Mexico I am so in awe of the scenery that I forget to try to take decent pictures. This time I tried but it was raining and snowing so the pictures are not clear.

 
 
 
Lava Rock. This trip I decided to get information on this area.
 
All of the above pictures are of lava rock deposited by the El Malpais volcano. Malpais means badlands. As far as I can determine this volcano erupted 30,000 years ago. It has been dormant since. It is a massive lava field covering over 114,000 acres. During World War I it was used as a test bombing range. In the 1940s it was one of 8 sites considered for the Manhattan Project. In 1987 President Reagan made it a National Monument. It is open year round to drive, walk, explore ice caves and study lava cones up close. I am sorry we have never stopped there but it is on our bucket list now. As silly as it sounds every time we drive through here I can clearly visualize what this must have been like when the volcano erupted. The lava rock is fascinating to see. I would love to walk around it and touch it. One day I hope to blog about just that.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment