Friday, July 12, 2019

Old Love-July 12, 2019

The following is an email I received today from our South Dakota State Representative, Dusty Johnson. He is a free spirit. I genuinely like him though we sometimes think differently. Obviously the picture was taken 20 years ago. I did not ask his permission to post this but I feel like he would not mind. I am giving him the credit! I love what this says.







July 12, 2019
Dear Cheryl,
I Prefer Old Love
By Rep. Dusty Johnson
July 12, 2019
Image


Reflections as I begin my 20th year of marriage to Jacquelyn (Dice) Johnson: 

New love is fun. It‘s easy to enjoy the excitement, the rush, the sense of opportunity.

I prefer old love, though.

New love is perishable. It‘s easily distracted and fades quickly. Old love is abiding. It’s stubborn, willing to ride out the inevitable storms and maelstroms of marriage.

New love is picky, and can be run off by any manner of shortcoming. Old love knows its every wart. For some blessed reason, old love sticks around.

You don’t have to dress up for old love, but often you do, because you want to.

Old love doesn’t keep score, because there’s only one team. Old love laughs together, cries together, works together, disciplines children together.

New love is noisy. There are so many interesting stories to share and fun secrets to confide. Old love knows how to talk and advise and share and confide, but it has also learned how to be still. It is easy to use silence as a tool of anger or apathy, but old love knows silence can also mean comfort and happiness.

Old love comes from God, and you can feel him within it. New love brings more pleasure, but old love brings more joy.

Old love laughs at jokes no one else understands. Old love exchanges glances, tells stories with a single look, and reads minds.

Old love is a best friend, makes us better, and is a sincere blessing.

New love is fun, but I prefer old love.

No comments:

Post a Comment