Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Smoky Mountains-June 1, 2011

First, let me say that I did not spell Dolly's name correctly in last night's blog. It is Parton. I hope she forgives me. We got up early and headed to Smoky Mountain National Park. What a fabulous treasure. And it is free. Most other National Parks have an entry fee. It was so green and clean. There were butterflies everywhere. And butterflies do not live in dirty air. I never really knew why they were called the Smoky Mountains, but it is obvious why. It is humid like a rain forest and that humidity hangs over the mountains like smoke. It creates a beautiful panorama. I drove to the Tennessee/North Carolina border, a summit at 5000 ft. Jerry drove back. We decended much faster than the trip up. And admittedly, part of that is because every time I saw something I liked, I pulled off and took pictures. It was just spectacular. We will visit the park from the North Carolina side in the days ahead. We had lunch in Gatlinburg. For my Colorado friends, it is just like Estes Park only at a much lower elevation. It's still fun. This was a delightful day spent in the beauty of our great nation. We so look forward to visiting as many National Parks as we can as we continue our journey around the country. However, we will never forget this one. It is spectacular. I can clearly imagine in my mind's eye how beautiful these mountains would be when the colors change in the fall. If you are near here and have never been to the Smokies, please try to plan a trip soon. It is so worth it. Today's little history lesson: When the Europeans forced the Cherokee Indians out of the Smoky Mountains, they began their journey to another place to live. That route was called the Trail of Tears. It started here.

No comments:

Post a Comment