Thursday, January 26, 2012

Swamp People-January 26, 2012

I said I would use some of the time here to catch up on things I've not been able to share with you. Sometimes there's so much that happens in one day it just cannot be put in one blog. Today is the Atchafalaya Swamp. Actually they changed the name from swamp to basin for some reason. Maybe it was the fear it struck when one realized they were driving across an almost endless swamp with no place to pull off the road if need be. We have been across that part of I-10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge, Louisiana so many times we can't begin to count. We always traveled in a car or pick up truck. This time we were in the coach. Because we sit in our seats at about the same height as a semi truck driver, we have an incredible view. So, this time across we could clearly see that people really do live in that swamp. Oh my goodness who would want to live in that gigantic alligator filled swamp? Obviously swamp people, but not the ones on the TV show. We could see how much bigger the swamp was than we ever dreamed. There were dirt (actually mud) roads all through there plus some of the prettiest ferns I've ever seen. What a treat to see something we never knew existed. So, if you ever have the opportunity to drive across the Atchafalaya Basin, think about those people living where you can't see them and try to visualize how isolated they are. And I'd be willing to bet how happy they are. At least they are not battling all that traffic on I-10!

No comments:

Post a Comment