Saturday, October 6, 2012

Elvis' Birthplace-October 6, 2012

It rained all night long so today was overcast and cool. No complaints here. We went to Elvis' birthplace. He came from such humble beginnings it sort of touches you. The house was tiny by anybody's standards.


Elvis' parent's bed. The lady guarding the bed seemed so sweet,
but I suspect she could tackle anybody who crossed that red rope
like an NFL player. She had memorized a little speech which she
shared with all who entered the front door.
 
The house from the outside. It had no running water and no electricity.
 
 
Inside the chapel. The more I looked at the stained glass, the more
I could see. You can see a likeness of him in a white jumpsuit at the center
bottom panel. This was very pretty. It goes without saying Elvis music
was playing softly in the background.
 
 
We watched a 20 minute film of "Elvis: The Younger Years" before we started the walking tour. It began with Elvis singing a song I have never heard in my life. The words were "Home is where the heart is. My heart is where you are". Wow, that was tough to hear in his voice. It was a beautiful song. It did tell more about how young he was when he actually started singing. Elvis was raised the right way. He was incredibly generous. He was so respectful to his parents and loved them dearly. What a tragic ending to a wonderful voice. This is a place I have wanted to see since Elvis died so it was a real treat to me to walk this ground. I am so glad we had the opportunity to see this.
 
So many cities have tributes to their city. There are cows, horses, catfish, hearts, etc. It almost goes without saying that Tupelo has guitars. They are delightful.
 
 
This was painted by some elementary school students.
 
 
This was in front of a men's clothing store.
 
 
This is in front of a huge park. It was my favorite one.
 
What a fun and interesting day.
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment