Friday, August 26, 2011

Veggies-August 26, 2011

I have always loved fresh vegetables, but I'm telling you I have picked, cleaned, cooked, canned and frozen so many I think I am having nightmares. Okra and corn are chasing me in my dreams. I think I am going to turn red from all the tomatoes. The beautiful purple eggplants are hiding and waiting to jump out at me on a moment's notice. I used to love cherry tomatoes but after picking and cleaning probably close to 1000 of those puppies, I do not get very excited when I see more red ones on the plant. He only has one cherry tomato plant, thank goodness. That plant is big enough to be called a tree. One tomato plant is an Heirloom tomato. It is non-hybrid. Therefore, when allowed to dry on the plant properly one single tomato will produce a number of seeds we do not know yet. Every seed produces another non-hybrid tomato plant exactly like its parent. Honestly, I was excited when we were able to buy those seeds, but I'm thinking about giving them away in Christmas cards! I cannot wrap my mind around that many more plants. However, they are some of the best tomatoes we have ever eaten. The odd part is that they are a slightly pinkish color, not beet red. But the meat is as red as a fire truck. Tomorrow I think I understand we are freezing corn and canning tomatoes. Can somebody come rescue me????? I'll pay you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment