Saturday, February 11, 2012

Another thing I forgot-February 11, 2012

First let me say it is so windy today we shiver just thinking about going out later this morning. It is supposed to be in the mid 20s tonight. That is cold! Now, I want to tell you something I forgot to mention about the pistachio trees in New Mexico. They are such pretty little trees. They do not attain the height that pecan trees do. When the pistashio nuts show signs of ripening, people sit in the orchards at night and listen to the nut shells pop open. When a certain number of pops per minute is reached, they harvest. A fully ripened pistachio nut is widely split open when you buy it. If the shell is closed, it was picked too green. Now you have that tidbit of information to share the next time pistachio nuts come up in a conversation! I will tell you that the pistashio nuts from New Mexico are so much better than the ones from California. They harvest in early fall so if you can order them right after harvest, you will love them. I was not paid to make that statement, honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment