Sunday, June 3, 2012

1880 Train-June 3, 2012

This afternoon we rode the old steam engine train from Keystone, SD to Hill City and back. It's in the heart of the Black Hills National Forest. We also rode a train to the Grand Canyon last year. This one was not as nice as that one but great fun anyway. The engineer was close to being a stand up comic and tried to convince us that the South Dakota state fish was the humpback whale. We did not fall for it! Going to Hill City we were in the last car. The engine changed places for the return trip so we were the first car behind the engine. There is something unique about this train that makes it the only one of its kind in the world. I am telling you I think I lost my hearing on the return trip. They have to blow the whistle 3 times every time they cross a road and there are 19 crossings on the route in each direction. Oh my what noise. I just tried and I cannot attach it to this blog. It was so good, too. So, here are some pictures I can attach.

It's easy to take a picture of the engine when you're in the last car.

All along the entire route in both directions, people get out of
their cars or run out of their houses to wave at the train. I waved back!

The Addie Store was used during gold mining days.

Harney Peak in the distance. It's the highest peak east of the Rockies
all the way to the Swiss Alps.

The scenery was very, very pretty. The ride was great fun. The weather cooperated. We are so glad we had a chance to take this train ride. We highly recommend it if you're in this area. There is so much more that we learned but his blog is already way too long. What a great afternoon!







No comments:

Post a Comment