Monday, August 12, 2013

Elvis' concert-August 12, 2013

For some reason tonight we turned on PBS. They were showing Elvis' Aloha From Hawaii concert from 1973. It has been digitally remastered and is so sharp and crisp. I looked at him and so many memories came flooding back. I saw him in a live performance only once, in May, 1975 in Huntsville, Alabama. I will never ever forget that. Some memories get lost in the years. That one will not ever be lost. Then I remembered that Opportunity Village in Las Vegas made all of Elvis' scarves that he gave away during concerts. What a loss it must have been to them when he died. Opportunity Village is a gigantic charity organization that gives jobs to those who are developmentally disabled. There are many such organizations across the country, but only the one in Las Vegas made those famous scarves. Also I remembered our visit to Tupelo, Mississippi not too long ago. There are tributes to him all over town. We went into a store and did not realize until the owner told us that we were standing in front of the counter where Elvis bought his first guitar. I just touched it and couldn't make a comment. We went through his childhood home. It was so tiny it was very hard to imagine an entire family living in it. His childhood was so impoverished. One has to wonder if that affected the decisions he made in his life. While Elvis never knew I existed he was certainly a part of my life. What an incredible voice was lost at a young age. I loved every minute of that PBS special.

No comments:

Post a Comment