Saturday, August 3, 2013

I'm at it again!-August 3, 2013

I realize this is a travel blog but I do so enjoy watching the weather and cloud formations. That comes from 14 years of being a weather spotter for the National Weather Service and Rocky Mountain Weather Services. Then on the coast I volunteered for a National weather spotter organization called CoCoRahs for short, that was based out of CSU in Fort Collins, CO. So, weather has been a hobby and great interest of mine for a long time. Therefore, on an afternoon when we know really bad weather is headed our way, my eyes are to the sky. We have been warned about large hail, high winds and possible tornadoes. We pray for rain only.

This beauty of a thunderhead is parked over Cheyenne, WY as I type this.
It could possibly be over the state line into Nebraska but the bulk of the storm
is in the Cheyenne area. This cloud is at least 50,000 feet in height. It is full of wind
and probably water. We have stood outside and watched it grow as our wind here increased dramatically. The humidity is so thick it appears that we are covered in fog. I suspect that for the first time since we got here the forecasters may be correct. Somebody is going to get something very ugly.
I PRAY I AM WRONG.
 
I zoomed in so you could see the lenticular on top. That's the wispy thin lens shaped cloud on top.
That means high winds aloft and increased the turbulence within the thunderhead. I struggle
to think that something so beautiful can be so harmful.
 
I hope your day is going well, that you have beautiful weather and Sunday will bring you a day of peace and rest.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment