Thursday, April 4, 2019

To Grand Junction-April 4, 2019

We are on our way to Las Vegas! We can hardly contain our excitement. We are staying in Grand Junction tonight which meant it was a relatively short day. We do not want to get to Vegas so tired we can't go anywhere the minute we get there.

It was an absolutely beautiful drive to Grand Junction. Words can't describe it and pictures don't do it justice. But you know me, I took tons of pictures anyway. Please allow me to share a few. I can't post them all because I took 46 pictures today alone.

Gold tailings from a long ago abandoned gold mine near
Idaho Springs. It's too costly to try to mine this. And it isn't as
much as it appears to be.
 
I have no idea what mountain this is, but it is very majestic. I
can also tell you it's extremely high.
 
This is what remains of an avalanche. I lost count
of how many they had this year but it was well over
300 or maybe it was 500. Sorry I can't remember.
 
This is the Eisenhower-Johnson tunnel. It is at the Continental
Divide. To this point all water flows east. I will tell you I would
rather drive the Bankhead Tunnel under Mobile Bay than I had
be in this tunnel. To me it is horrifying. I literally hold my breath
until I see light at the end of the tunnel.
 
After you get through the tunnel you go downhill at a 7% grade.
Neither of us remembered how steep this grade is. We were both
very happy we were not in the motor home. It was the first trip
for this truck, and trust me, it was not happy! On this side of the
tunnel all water runs west.
 
I'll stop here for now. We are headed downhill into Dillon. I'll pick up here next time.
 
It was the best drive we have ever had through the mountains. It was also the prettiest we have ever had. We are feeling very blessed to have seen this today.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment