Thursday, April 10, 2014

Big E and more-April 10, 2014

We would not let the heat slow us down today, so we headed back to the Linq/High Roller, to a gift shop on the promenade. We saw something for Hannah when we were there before and chose not to buy it. So, we went back today and bought it as her birthday present. We have figured out ways to walk from one building to another without getting out on the streets. On our way through the Flamingo we noticed that there were more birds in their Habitat.

Pelicans are such nasty and mean birds. We could not stand them
when we lived on the coast, so why on earth would I take a picture
of these birds today? I haven't a clue.
 
Out the door of the Flamingo, through the Quad and into Harrah's. We went to the Piano Bar to listen to Big E, the Elvis impersonator whose real name is Pete Vallee. This man is pounds beyond morbidly obese but he can still sing beautifully. One would think he would want to get in better shape, but it is his choice. Once he starts singing it is almost impossible to realize how big he is. He is the most like Elvis of any impersonator I have ever heard except that guy from England whose name I cannot remember. This is one of the most fun things one can experience in Las Vegas and it's free.
 
I took a dozen pictures with both my iPhone and my camera. I shot 3 short videos. None of them worked very well at all. I am left to wonder if they put some type of scrambling device in that room to mess with our electronic devices. They do have a professional photographer in the room who will take your picture with Big E. I must assume it would cost $$$. So, the best I can come up with is this one:
Yes, he's that big. My guess is at least 500 pounds.
 
There was one song he sang that I have never heard the back story to until today. The song that made Whitney Houston famous, "I Will Always Love You" was not supposed to be Whitney's song. Dolly Parton wrote it for Elvis. They had set a date in November, 1977 to record it. As you know Elvis died in August, 1977. I cannot imagine what a shock that was to Dolly. So, she and Whitney came to terms and the rest is history. As big a hit as that was for Whitney, can you imagine what Elvis would have done with it? Oh my. Big E sang it and it was just mesmerizing. I will never forget it. That and "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You" made it a perfect day for me.
 
Out that door, in front of Caesar's and to the Mirage. I love the scenery at the Mirage. Both inside and out.
 
Outside

Inside
 
This was a really fun day. We are so happy we were able to sit and listen to Big E and the wonderful songs he sang. We enjoyed all the walking. And we got some good Vitamin D from all the time in the sun. We also made it home before traffic got too bad. It was a perfect day.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment