Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Las Vegas!-March 12, 2013

The wind when we left Bullhead City was absolutely horrible. As soon as we dropped down into the valley that holds Las Vegas it slacked off considerably. It is a gorgeous day here. We have all the windows open and are enjoying the fresh clean air. As we drove through the mountains toward this city, my mind could easily see that this area at one time had to be home to more than one volcano. The mountains are not like the Rocky Mountains or the Tetons or the Appalachians. Instead they are gigantic piles of rocks. They are solid, not loose rocks. The colors in those rocks have to indicate what ore is beneath the surface. It is really quite pretty. I never dreamed that a desert is actually the floor of several mountain ranges. I have learned a lot about geography on this journey.

Doesn't this look like a huge pile of rocks to you?
Sorry I took this from my front seat so that car is in this picture.
 
Rocks, right??
 
This is just outside Boulder City, NV. The colors were so pretty.
 
 
Before we put Bullhead City in the rearview mirror permanently, I wanted to share a picture of the Colorado River, taken out of my window, as we crossed the bridge this morning. I'm sharing because of the beautiful color of blue of the water. The word "Colorado" means red color, not blue.
 
 
We are happy to be in this exciting city. We'll be here at least two weeks.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment