Friday, January 17, 2014

Coushatta Birthday-January 17, 2014

This morning was the 19th birthday celebration of the Coushatta tribe opening this facility on their land. We did not get there early enough to take pictures of the cake. It was just stunning. Actually there were three separate cakes but they were made to fit together. All of the speakers were Coushatta Indians. They introduced the Council and some spoke for a couple of minutes. The Chief of the tribe who is actually called the President of the tribe and the county District Attorney spoke together telling how all of this came about. It was really interesting. The Princess of the tribe also spoke. She is attending TCU and majoring in Anthropology. Each person spoke in their native tongue first and then spoke in English. The Princess and one other young lady signed the Lord's Prayer. I could not bow my head and see what they did, so I watched. It was just stunning. They had such pretty hands and really graceful movements. I will not forget how beautiful that was. Next came the Native dancers, both men and women.

Three women danced and the best one was Emerald Sky Bird who did the shawl dance. It was explained that they bounce on their feet because they believe they need to treat Mother Earth gently so they put as small an amount of their feet down as possible. Emerald Sky Bird appeared to seldom  touch the stage. She was wonderful.

The men dancers had the most beautiful costumes. So many feathers and such bright colors. One dancer was from the Alabama Coushatta Tribe of Texas. I think I can explain that but you can probably figure it out. He was a hoop dancer. Oh my goodness he was unbelievable. He had dozens and dozens of hoops, small hoops and he could get them all connected and get his body through them and hold them up on open arms. Then in the blink of an eye he was out of them and they were just a stack of hoops. It was spectacular.

We did learn that the Indians, all tribes, hold the eagle in high esteem because it flies closest to the Heavens. I won't forget that either.

Unfortunately we were in the back of the room so pictures were next to impossible. You will have to take my word for it that this was a once in a lifetime experience. I am so grateful we got to see it.
Sorry about the quality of the picture. Imagine what this looked like in person.
 
I have to ask someone to explain this tribal seal to me. That fish is ugly and I
don't know why they would choose it. I know there is a story behind it.
Will share when I find out.
 
We are thrilled we got to experience this ceremony today.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment