Monday, March 10, 2014

Red Rock Canyon-March 10, 2104

We went way out west of the city today to Red Rock Canyon. It's a natural formation of several different types of rocks. And it is so pretty I do not have words to describe it. The highest point is 4771 feet high so it is not at all like being in the Rocky Mountains. The peaks are very sharp so it is not at all like the Smoky Mountains. Red Rock Canyon is its own unique place. It's quiet and peaceful and very cool. I'm going to enlarge all of these so you can see more detail. Sorry it messes up the print when I do that.

I don't text and drive but I do take pictures while I'm driving.
Here we are not quite out of the city but you can still see the canyon ahead.
Calico rocks.
A closer look. The dark brown substance is called desert varnish.
The name of this is Sandstone Quarry though it is not a quarry.
Ice Box Canyon is back in those rocks. We didn't go there.
The view as we were leaving the canyon.
I stopped in a parking lot for the perfectly formed lenticular cloud
just above the mountains. Cirrus clouds above that.
I haven't a clue what this pretty flower is. It had a dry sage
type smell. It was putting all of its energy into being happy.
 
What a restful day. It was extremely windy but not as windy as tomorrow should be. Still we wanted to see this canyon. I'm getting used to bad hair days in this dry and windy climate. If you are ever in Las Vegas please drive out to Red Rock Canyon. It is so worth your time.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment