Friday, November 29, 2013

Day with friends-November 29, 2013

We drove to Decatur today to have lunch with friends from Ono. They sold their house there, too. We went to a locally owned pizza place downtown. The crust was too thin but the flavor was excellent.

Let me back up a bit and tell you about the drive over there. Not too far out of Red Bay, a pick up truck was pulled off on the shoulder of the road. One would assume they had trouble, but when we got closer we realized one guy was sitting on the tailgate playing a guitar. If we had not been on a schedule I would have stopped and taken a picture. Instead I just sighed and said, "Only in rural northwest Alabama". Then there was a driver in a small blue car in the left lane holding up traffic in Moulton. He had Psalm 27:10 on his back window. I had to wait until I got home to read it. Then I felt awful that I was slightly annoyed at him. That verse says "Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me". I was so sad for him at what he probably missed in life. Bless his heart.

I tried to take picture of Wayne and Barbara's four legged children, but not all would cooperate. Two out of four is all I managed to photograph.

This is Electra. She is Queen Bee in this house.
 
This is their newest addition, Ginger. At first glance she appears to be a Jack Russell,
but her face says she has Beagle in her. She is a young puppy.
 
Jackson and Chi-Chi, the Chihuahua both had white eyes in the flash. That indicates they have cataracts, so I did not post those pictures. Chi-Chi is really feisty. They're all fun.
 
We had heard that XM-Sirius was activating all deactivated radios for free service until Dec. 3rd. So we turned on our radio and there it was. We scanned and found Elvis Radio, live out of Graceland. What a treat! They played songs I have never ever heard. On the way over they played Elvis' American Trilogy. I was driving and I thought I would have to pull over to get past it. I love that trilogy and it really makes me emotional. It makes me realize what a loss it was to lose Elvis at such a young age. On the way back they played Wink Martindale, the game show host, who read a letter he wrote to the people who tried to disparage Elvis' character after his death. I had no idea he was such a good friend of E. It was a fabulous letter which I have never heard or read before. I should try to find a copy of it. It was just excellent. No matter what his life may have ended up being, Elvis was at his core a good and generous man who loved his parents and who believed in God.
 
All in all, it was an almost perfect day and was a joy to experience. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment