Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Albuquerque, NM-May 22, 2013

We are happy to be safely in Albuquerque though not ecstatic about being in this city. It's a necessary stop along the way to our destination. We are thrilled to be in the Mountain Time Zone. Now life will return to normal. The drive here was very interesting. First of all we did not know that the Painted Desert was visible from the interstate. What a fun way to start the day, looking at those beautiful colors. Secondly we went through the rocky part of northwestern New Mexico which provides a different view depending on where the sun is shining. We also went through Grants, NM which is almost completely covered with lava rock from an ancient volcano. It must have been a gigantic one. I am fascinated by lava rock. That's fine. You are entitled to your opinion! We arrived here to, guess what?, more wind. Oh, joy. The entire country must be blowing away. We are relaxing and planning what we want to do here. We know we will eat at a wonderful Mexican restaurant we found last time.

Isn't this the oddest rock you have ever seen? What caused the holes? Sorry about that truck being in the center. So much traffic I could not avoid them.
 
Another odd rock with a cave entrance at the bottom.
 
Lava rock. I would really like to walk on this rock. I am curious to see what's there. This was one of the smaller piles. When we got to the huge ones I could not take pictures because I was enjoying what I was seeing too much to stop and pick up the camera.
 
I will say that I was unable to take pictures on the Navajo Indian reservation. I was so heartbroken at the living conditions I sat silently trying not to cry. How can anybody live like that? Since many do not have indoor plumbing might we also assume they do not have running water? 
 
This park offered us a deal so we will be here for a few days. Hopefully I can find some interesting things to share with you.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment